Sign in to follow this  
Guest Curious Kiwi

I got injured, what now?

Question

Guest Curious Kiwi

I got injured.

What do I do to get my rightful Accident Compensation Injury Cover (and entitlements) that I have paid my compulsory levies for?

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, Guest Curious Kiwi said:

I got injured.

What do I do to get my rightful Accident Compensation Injury Cover (and entitlements) that I have paid my compulsory levies for?

Great question!

This is what you, or indeed anyone in New Zealand needs to do if injured in an accident.

Visit a health provider

This could be at your local medical centre, or hospital emergency department (A&E)., your doctor, or physiotherapist etc.

The health provider

Will fill out all the appropriate forms and will make/lodge the injury claim to the ACC on your behalf.

The ACC will Pay a little bit of your appointment

If the ACC cover your injury they'll pay part of your appointment to your health provider.  Naturally you'll need to pay for the rest. Check with the health provider for their fees.

NZ Community Services Card holders or dependents (14 - 17 years of age) of a NZ Community Services Card holder, may get a lower-cost visit to the GP.

Most GPs should also offer zero-fees for children under 14 years.

The ACC will confirm if you’re covered

They will send you a letter to confirm if they will cover your injury or injuries. They usually do this within a week. Make sure you give the ACC your mobile number or email address because then they can send you information telling you what's happening with your claim much sooner. The ACC website states "If we don't cover your injury, we’ll let you know why." Yeah right! If they spin some crap that your injury is "Deterioration" and or related to old age etc tell them they're full of crap!

Then come back here and join us (it's free) and be part of our ACCforum community.

Find out how the ACC can support you

If you need ongoing support from the ACC, they'll likely assign you a case owner. If you are lucky enough to get an honest/decent case owner/manager they'll help you get the appropriate support you may need and sort out any problems. Good luck.

You might even get weekly compensation if you can’t work

The ACC should also help with your income.

If you can't work because of an injury that they failed to find an excuse to decline "cover" on, the ACC can help with your income.

Good luck in your adventure.

You're always welcome to come back here and join us for some support, advice, and resources that at the end of the day hopefully leads you to gaining/regaining your rightful ACC cover and entitlements instead of having to go begging at Work & Income New Zealand.

You should not treat the ACC or any of their Service Providers as friends! Believe me, they are not your friends.

:classic_wink: