Jump to content
Are you injured and can't work? - Know your rights or get screwed by the ACC!
Share your experiences and knowledge
Sign in to follow this  
Blurb

Women stand naked in protest of NZ police inaction

Recommended Posts

Women stand naked on Auckland's Karangahape Road in protest of police inaction after alleged assault

Hannah Martin and Charlotte Carter13:13, Feb 09 2019

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/110471269/women-stand-naked-on-aucklands-karangahape-road-in-protest-of-police-inaction-after-alleged-assault

 

Jazmine_Rose_Phillips_and_Kyah_Dove.jpg.b7e792df31a7a2d8a7920c524c428d1e.jpg

Jazmine Rose Phillips and Kyah Dove stood naked on a busy Auckland road as a protest after an alleged assault.

 

The victim of an alleged sexually-motivated assault stood naked on Friday on Auckland's Karangahape Rd in protest, after she says police ignored her calls for help. 

Auckland performance artist Jazmine Rose Phillips stood hand-in-hand with her friend, Kyah Dove at the entrance to St Kevins' Arcade, covered in fake blood and with black tape over their mouths. 

Other women were handing out flyers to passersby, detailing the reasons for the protest.

 

The flyer stated the women were physically assaulted by a man on Karangahape Rd on January 21. 

Phillips said a man began "doing sexual gestures" towards her and her partner after they had hugged on a street corner.

She hit his car window, then he jumped out of his vehicle and struck her across the head, before trying to hit her partner, she said.

This flier was handed to passersby by people at the scene.

The pair got away and asked a passerby to stand with them while they phoned 111. 

They then gave police a description of the man who attacked them, along with his car registration number, Phillips said.

On the phone, they were told there would be CCTV footage, and police would contact them that evening or follow up the next day. 

But they never heard from police, Phillips said.

"The officer at the counter made [my partner] tell the story in a line in front of people, then after she told the story he said 'we can't do anything unless you both come in'," Phillips said. 

Phillips' partner left the police station in tears. 

"I walked away from that experience feeling really hurt, powerless and unsupported with a lot of shame and fear," Phillips said. 

She decided to protest on K Rd to process her trauma through art.

"I kept hearing stories from all my female friends about their similar stories of sexual harassment and reporting rape, far more traumatic stories than mine and decided this is what I would do."

She said the protest prompted an outpouring of gratitude from women who confessed they went through similar experiences and it was "amazing to not feel alone", but also awful to know that so many people shared her grief. 

A police sergeant approached the two women after they had been standing on the street for quite some time and gave Phillips his card, she said.

"He said, 'when you're ready to talk I would like to further explore the case', but for me that was far too late, I wanted them to arrive when I made a 111 call.

"Last week a 57-year-old women died in her home and Grace [Millane] was found in a bush near my house. What I would like to know is at what point do [police] start arriving after calls?"

A bystander who was meeting friends for lunch came across the protest, which she said made her "pretty emotional". 

Lots of people stopped to look at the "amazingly brave" women and to take flyers, she said. 

"The women being there on a busy street, naked, covered in fake blood with the tape over their mouths was a pretty powerful statement," she said.  

"I almost cried." 

Auckland District Commander Superintendent Karyn Malthus said the matter was "being followed up urgently".

Police were contacting the two women to discuss their concerns with them, she said. 

"We understand they have concerns about an incident where one of the women was assaulted in January, and the way it was handled.

"We need to establish the exact circumstances around the incident and what happened when they reported it.

"It is very concerning that these women feel let down by police and we are doing everything we can to establish exactly what happened, work with the victims and address their concerns."

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/110471269/women-stand-naked-on-aucklands-karangahape-road-in-protest-of-police-inaction-after-alleged-assault

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I reproduced the above Stuff story for a good reason. About 8 years ago a select group of ACCforum.org members were attacked on that forum by a then newly registered member.

 

That individual is allegedly the same person featured in the following story published by the Herald.

 

 Blogger dodges prison over court suppression breaches, harassment campaigns
26 Jul, 2018 1:10pm

dermot_nottingham_convicted_criminal.jpg.ce1b5286c3de0aea44fbfb5481190925.jpg
Internet blogger Dermot Nottingham was sentenced today in the Auckland District Court. Photo / Sam Hurley New Zealand Herald court reporter.


 

Quote

 

 A blogger described as "malicious and nasty" has narrowly avoided prison after breaching suppression orders in a prominent Auckland court case and leading a prolonged campaign of criminal harassment against five people, including a former MP.

Dermot Gregory Nottingham was sentenced to 12 months' home detention and 100 hours' community work today in the Auckland District Court, after what Judge Jonathan Down described as a blatant and contemptuous breach of court orders and an arrogant view of right and wrong.

A jury found Nottingham guilty of five criminal harassment charges and two breaches of court suppression orders following a trial, in which Nottingham represented himself, during April and May.

 


 

Quote

 

As a result of Nottingham's disregard for the court's order, a police detective began investigating the website and found "several campaigns of harassment".

Some of the five people identified as potential victims had gone to police but were told officers could do nothing, the court heard.

Nottingham's harassment against his victims, all of whom have permanent name suppression, took place between 2011 and 2015 - the year he was charged.

 

 


 

Quote

 

 The blogger's targets included business people, civil servants, and a former Member of Parliament.

Photos were taken of them and their homes and the allegations published online falsely claimed drug abuse and corruption.

Nottingham also made a veiled violent threat against one victim and wrote "two shots to be sure" alongside the person's name.

One of the victims said they had been stalked and photographed, with their images appearing on the blog page.

"I was hyper vigilant and wary, especially at night knowing Nottingham knew where we lived," they said.

Brian Dickey, Auckland's crown solicitor, said Nottingham's harassment was at the high end of the criminal spectrum, calling it "so malicious, so nasty".

The prosecutor said the offending articles remained on the internet and are displayed prominently when the victims' names are entered into a Google search.

"He shows absolutely no insight into his offending, no remorse."

 

 


 

Quote

 

 Nottingham had, in part, argued a prison sentence would be manifestly excessive due to his health complications, some of which saw him hospitalised for a week during the trial.

However, Dickey attempted to rebut the claims by arguing Nottingham's health would improve if he lost some weight.

Dickey also strongly opposed home detention and sought a sentence of up to four years imprisonment.

Nottingham said he never intended to threaten the safety of his victims, but Dickey was concerned he would now simply use someone else's computer or phone to continue his harassment.

"And our business with Mr Nottingham will continue," Dickey told Judge Down.

Nottingham tried to ague at trial that his "articles" were covered by freedom of expression rights.

"People have different opinions about what is said in articles," he said today. "The articles contained words that the jury found offensive ... I'm not a bully."

 However, Judge Down said the right to free speech or freedom of expression is not a paramount right.

Nottingham, nonetheless, stood by his blogs and said his words remained true and would survive a defamation trial.

He also blamed his victims and said, "if they had been honest ... none of this would have occurred".

Judge Down said bloggers "seem to feel that they are not bound by moral codes of conduct" and engage and take a habitually aggressive approach.

The judge said the "unique" case showed Nottingham had an abrasive and combative approach to others.

"Mr Nottingham is unlikely to accept what he did was not only unlawful but reprehensible," he said.

Nottingham has indicated he will appeal the jury's verdicts, while Dickey told the Herald a potential appeal of the sentence would be a decision for the Crown Law Office.

 

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12095711

 

 The blogger's targets included business people, civil servants, and a former Member of Parliament.

Photos were taken of them and their homes and the allegations published online falsely claimed drug abuse and corruption.

 

Nottingham's targets included several innocent ACC claimants!

 

Dermot Nottingham's profile on ACCforum dot org

Joined: - 11-December 11

https://accforum.org/forums/index.php?/user/56902-lauda-finem/page__tab__aboutme

 

Why did the NZ Police not investigate our complaints?

 

 

ACC Claimants Safety Alert

 

The following individuals are alleged to be responsible for the demise of the ACCforum.org and criminal harassment of ACC Claimants.

 

David Butler, Alan Thomas, and Dermot Nottingham

   

ACCforum dot org's David Butler aka Hardwired aka Snoopy

butler1.jpg.2c246c566343d74d99dc798a77080a84.jpg

David Butler - Image from David Butler/*Dermot Nottingham Skype video

David Butler allegedly resides somewhere in or near Cheviot, just out side of Christchurch NZ.

Warning: If you are an ACC, or Work & Income NZ client , Don't give David Butler any of your personal information!

 

Dermot Nottingham Convicted Criminal NZ
Dermot Gregory Nottingham - He is a convicted criminal.

Warning: If you are an ACC, or Work & Income NZ client , Don't give Dermot Gregory Nottingham any of your personal information!

 

alan_gordon_thomas.JPG.1c84323cb5a74c302377bb8dc08c067e.JPG
Alan Gordon Thomas - He is a convicted criminal and alleged owner/moderator/administrator of ACCforum(doyt)org

Wealthy consultant used ACC to boost wage by $238,000

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=115696

ACC bomb plot: Plans for van blast - 26 Jul, 2011 5:30am

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10740850

Quote

Alan Thomas was so angry with ACC that he hatched a plan to park a van full of explosives and nails outside a branch office, set off the building's fire alarm and explode the bomb as staff gathered outside.

 

 

Warning: If you are an ACC, or Work & Income NZ client , Don't give Alan Gordon Thomas any of your personal information!

 

 

 

This post was in the Public Domain but quickly moved to "Members only" section of ACCforum dot org

 

darrell_pearce_01.png.7ec22056a27206323f85ea5a9b49a0f2.png

 

I have chosen not to name the blog site which published Nottingham's posts because the offending content remains online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×